Wednesday, December 18, 2013

365 Comics...345: Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #3 (2013)

On the 1st day of Christmas, my comics gave to me...

one dead kid... aww shit.  My wife has long had a thing about sequences where children get killed... put them in mortal jeopardy, sure but kill them?  Can't deal.  Part of being a parent, she said.  For a long time I could separate the art of dead children from the reality of them but, yeah, I'm starting to see things from that same perspective.  It's deaths like this that serve more as character motivators that I particularly don't like... they feel a bit forced, especially when its an implausible chain of events that result in the death, rather than something random.  Plus this death gets telegraphed rather obviously... but then I think Jolley was going for more of a cinematic poeticness and even highlighting the pure misfortune of the chain of events, knowing their implausibility.   All said it's still a bit of a gut punch, well handled by Leonard Kirk.

I doubt we're going to get something as potent as Buddy Baker's distress in Animal Man here, but yeah, next issue is going to be hard to read.

No comments: