Sunday, March 31, 2013

365 Comics...90: Spontaneous #5 (2011)

Is it funny that I can accept the metaphysics of spontaneous human combustion in this book, but I have far more trouble accepting telekenisis (funny peculiar, rather than funny ha ha).  Joe Harris constructed a largely natural world in which some strange fire-related things happened, so the conceit that there was something supernatural surrounding the fire was a given.  The introduction of the "enhanced powers of the mind" however seemed a bit of a late-in-the-game introduction, then again, I had a lengthy gap between reading issues 1-3 and 4-5 (like, a year and a half) so I don't recall if it was set up even slightly at all before.  Either way I didn't think it was a natural fit with Harris' story.  It seemed largely unnecessary, save to provide some minor threat during the climax.  It's a minor gripe though, as I liked the story more and more as it progressed to its conclusion.  It was a fine mystery with an intricate and logical conspiracy behind it.  Harris doesn't spoon feed the reader the entire through line either, giving them with all the pieces but letting them finish the puzzle.

No comments: