Friday, March 18, 2011

The All-New Wonder Woman

So, last year DC had updated the Wonder Woman costume for a "modern age", showing less of Diana's skin and turning the bustier into something less bustier-like, giving her a street-tough look more akin to Black Canary than what we would typically associate with Wonder Woman. I didn't much care for it. I have to say though, that I prefer it to this: the new television Wonder Woman costume as donned by series actress Adrianne Palicki. The fetish aesthetic is quite obviously back in (I guess in keeping with the origins of the character), as this costume seems like something I would see in the live display window at a certain adult store on Queen West here in Toronto, rather than a superhero. Quite frankly it makes Lynda Carter look ready to greet the Queen in comparison. And nerd quibble: BLUE BOOTS?


Reports about the show have David E Kelly's Wonder Woman it shaping up to be the usual clueless adapt-a-superhero-to-the-mass-market disaster. "The project is described as a reinvention of the iconic D.C. comic in which Wonder Woman -- aka Diana Prince -- is a vigilante crime fighter in L.A. but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life"

Bleeding Cool's dissection of the pilot script further damns it to, at best, The Flash-level of television reinvention.

I'm betting that, like the Cape or The Bionic Woman remake, I make it no further than 20 minutes through the pilot episode before flipping it over to watch hockey or something less brain-hurtey.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Those boots seriously need to be red.

KENT! said...

Bill, I know, right! It's like I was sayin'...