Friday, December 27, 2013

365 Comics...358: Indestructible Hulk #5 (2013)

I liked the first issue of Waid's Indestructible Hulk (see 365 #132) and have been open to reading more, but at the same time I haven't really wanted to pay for it, since I got the first one for free... or at least I haven't wanted to pay much for it, as I've been keeping an eye out for the collections at the local used/remaindered bookstores.  Strangely I had to pause when the Marvel Now sale came on this month and decide whether I wanted to get further isseues physically or if digital would serve me just fine.  Turns out with the Hickman Avengers books I'm keen on the physical copies, but with Hulk, digital will be okay.

And it is.  It's an entertaining book but I'm not historically a big Hulk fan so it's not mission critical to have these on the shelf.  I like what Waid's doing, but it feels very episodic, like each issue has to contain certain elements ( a conversation with Maria Hill, a bit of (non)science stuff, and a misdion for Hulk ).   The missions often feel tacked on, getting in the way of the character stuff, but at the same time they are terribly fun.

This isdue is the second of a two parter and it finds Hulk in the middle of a civil war between the new Lemurian dictator and the rebel forces that oppose him.  It's a romp.

The Lemurian warrior infatuated with Hulk but despising of Banner was tremendous fun.  Hope that plays out further, though it obviously doesn't need to.

No comments: