Friday, June 21, 2013

365 Comics...172: Sweet Tooth Vol. 6: Wild Game (2013)

whatever reservations I have had about this series have been largely dispelled by what is an amazing finish.  This final volume truly does wrap up the series not only in bringing a close to the mystery of the origin of the hybrids and the contagion but also presenting a beautiful and affecting epilogue to the series, an elaborate and all encompassing look at what happened to all of the survivors.  That coda alone is one of Lemire's best works.

What I kept thinking about though was how cinematic it all was, and indeed it worud make a great notion picture.  I was looking at the characters and wondering who I would cast and I realized, to my own horror that I am now an old person and I really do not know young actors at all (unless they're on Game of Thrones, which seems to be the only show I watch with a young cast).  So I really dont have any recommendations for Gus (perhaps Mason Vale Cotton who plays Bobby Draper on Mad Men) or Bobby (who are we kidding, it's Andy Serkis) or Wendy (Arya Stark Maisie Williams?)



Even beyond the kids, my frame of reference of actors for most of the characters is 10 years out of date. 

Like for Jepperd Nick Nolte would have been perfect 10-15 years ago.  I'm afraid studios would want to go with Bruce Willis, who could do the job depending on which Bruce took the gig... actor Bruce or paycheck Bruce.  It would be a name draw but I'm sure I can do better.


Lucy and Becky are easy, Kerry Washington and Carrie Mulligan.



Dr. Singh ... I have the perfect visualisation of the actor in my mind but I can't remember the film (or was it TV? I bet he's a Canadian character actor...).  Irrfan Khan would definitely do in a pinch though...


Then there's Johnnie and Dougie Abbot.  Johnnie is definitely Martin Starr while Dougie is Jon Gries.



Jepperd's old hockey buddy, Jimmy Jacobs, John C. Reilly, and that creep Haggerty is Tim Blake Nelson







That's most of the main players. Sheesh that looks like a hard sell.





No comments: