Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Pleasant Surprise

Comics-wise, if you want to put a smile on my face, you can start by doing one thing: begin your storytelling with cover of a comic.

My first encounter with the awesomeness of this device was in 1992's Excalibur #55:

There it is all on the page; a beginning, an invitation to hit the ground, running.

Plus, the other thing it does for me is that, for some reason, I feel like I'm getting a full extra page of story, more bang for my bucks!

So, it was with particular glee my feet, once again, hit the ground in the best possible of ways and with the opening of a door went on a murder mystery featuring The Riddler. The cover certainly added to my enjoyment of this comic and better yet, my comics, period.

Well played, comics. Well played. Well done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites of this rather limited genre:
http://www.comics.org/issue/38965/cover/4/?style=default

Dom said...

My favorite cover concept was when the early and mid 90's Marvel covers let us know that every #1 issue was a must own collectors item. Thanks Marvel! Now I own 3 copies of Rogue #1...

http://365daysofcomics.blogspot.com/2010/01/rogue-1-1994.html