Sunday, October 18, 2009

This Is Awkard...


Full disclosure: This post is not about comics. If you're looking for thoughts on Adventure Comics or Blackest Night, this is not the post for you. But I have to get something pop culture related off my chest.

Here goes... I think it's possible that the show 'Glee' was literally created with me in mind. I hate those bastards at Fox... my hatred for them burns like the fire of a thousand suns, but they've got themselves a winner with 'Glee'. It's no secret that I love teen drama. I watch 'Gossip Girl' and '90210' and somewhere in my apartment there's a season of 'Degrassi: The Next Generation' on DVD. But none of those shows capture my imagination like 'Glee'.

Now, I would never ever tell anyone what constitutes good taste. I'm the guy who defended Joe Kelly's run on 'Supergirl'. But I would at least like to offer some explanation as to why I like the show. Allow me to quickly break down the elements of this show that make Big Mike such a fanatic:

1.) Dark Comedy - 'Glee' has ridiculously good cred as a satire. Jane Lynch is stellar as the evil cheerleading coach, and even the sympathetic characters provide us with a bitingly comedic look into the darker side of human nature. The show also uses funny cutaways and other tricks that are reminiscent of great shows like 'Arrested Development'.

2.) Not-So-Dark Comedy - Like I said, the show has great cred as a satire and a dark comedy, so at the same time it also has a little bit of wiggle room to be at times cheesy and uplifting. It's also cool because you never know which way a certain plot thread is going to go... it could end really happily or it could all go to hell in a handbasket... makes the show unpredictable even in its cheesiest moments.

3.) Songs and Dancing - I was watching 'Hitch' tonight with my fiance, and I realized that the only reason I like that movie is because they dance during the closing credits. I also really like the dance to 'Hey Mickey' at the end of 'Bring It On.' Short story long: Songs and dances are awesome. The rendition of 'Don't Stop Believin' in the 'Glee' pilot? Chills, man... chills. And let's not even get started on the episode where the football team dances to Beyonce. Brilliant.

I did not expect to like this show. I hate Fox networks and everything they stand for. But those evil bastards managed to carve together a show that just works for me. I know this has nothing to do with comics, but frankly, I started going to grad school at night a few months back, so I pretty much don't read anything that doesn't involve math. So in order to compensate, I watch more TV than a man my age probably should, and I gotta say it: 'Glee' is my favorite show.

Please, Second Printers... tell me I'm not the only one.

7 comments:

njcook0312 said...

Even though I don't share your hate of the network, Glee is easily one of the best shows on TV right now, because even as good as Smallville is this season, it still can't hold a candle to Glee. But 90210 Big Mike? Common man.

BIG MIKE said...

Yeah 90210 is a particularly personal shame for me. This season, they definitely stepped up their game, though... they added a character this year, a high school student played by an actor who is over 30. Awesome.

Nate said...

Dood, I'm so far behind I just watched Freaks and Geeks for the first time this weekend.

It'll be years before I run into the Glee phenomenon

lordscarlet said...

I thought that all this elements together would make a perfect storm. However, it's just not working for me. The songs in particular -- they are way too overproduced (or something) for my taste. I think it should feel a little more like they are actually in the moment, and the songs should have some tangential relevance to what is occurring in the scene.

Devon Sanders said...

I watched my first episode of this on Saturday night and I can see why it has the following it does.

I enjoyed it but it just sort of came across to me as High School Musical for folks who remember Color Me Badd.

BIG MIKE said...

"I enjoyed it but it just sort of came across to me as High School Musical for folks who remember Color Me Badd"

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Sarah said...

I agree. I'm smitten, and Fox makes it easy to watch on their Web site since I have a commitment Weds. night.