Friday, October 15, 2010

Definitely Not Reviews (10-13-10)

This week in geek:


Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #5
- I think I want to like this series more than I actually like it... for now. Once it's done, and I read it all in one sitting, perhaps two or three times over, perhaps with another complete reading of Morrison's Batman run and Final Crisis, then maybe I'll like it more. Sometimes Morrison's dense structural style and call-back-ed-ness makes for too challenging a read. This is almost Invisibles-level mind-numbing.

Booster Gold #37 - I'm a huge Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League fan. That series has had the biggest and most lasting impact of any pop-culture experience in my life. I was afraid that yet another dalliance in JL territory by the writing team would further dilute my affections (ala the moneygrubbing Star Wars onslaught of the 'aughts), but I find this to be perfectly charming, full of the heart that I remember the series having if not exactly being as witty (it feels kind of forced). It's hard to resolve this quasi-buffoonery with the serious goings-on in Generation Lost, but I still like it.

Bruce Wayne, The Return Home: Batgirl #1 and
Bruce Wayne, The Return Home: Red Robin #1, given that "The Return of Bruce Wayne" isn't finished yet (another Morrison series delayed? *gasp*), these feel like they've jumped the gun a little bit. Both, however are like bonus issues of their respective series and they tie loosly into one another in the whole "Return Home" thing whereby Bruce tests the mettle of all his former associates. I'm curious about his "Amazo-suit" and I really liked the bit about Cassandra Cain (Brian Q. Miller is doing a bang-up job on Batgirl). Red Robin (here and in issue 5 of ROBW) is drawn as far too grown up for his own good, though.

Green Lantern #58 - I've officially dropped Brightest Day from my pull list, but I can't help but be totally agog over Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy's work here. I don't care about Hal Jordan, I'm seriously surprised at the popularity of Larfleez, and where the hell did John Stewart disappear to? But I am happy that Atrocitous will be the big bad of the first season of the Green Lantern cartoon. I like that dude.

Justice League: Generation Lost #11 - I miss Giffen's breakdowns on this title, as I really dig me the 9-panel grid. That said, I think Winick is doing a decent job with the story without him, and the art has been pretty decent as well. The fact is I want to hate this because it's another dumb "let's make Kingdom Come part of continuity" story, but I don't and that's surprising. Plus, loving the Cliff Chiang covers.

Mighty Crusaders #4 - Two more issues to go and I don't think we're going to see the Archie heroes in DC Comics for at least another decade. It's too bad though, because this is a fun little team book (even at $3.99) full of heroes taking on invading aliens and bizarre villains.

Tiny Titans/Little Archie #1 - sweet fun for the kiddies

Unwritten #18 - oops, I've kind of let a stack of these pile up beside my bed (I haven't read an issue since #12), but one of these days I'm going to have an absolutely fantastic time catching up (I saw that last issue was a "Choose Your Own Adventure"-style book which seems crazy awesome.

Strange Tales II #1 - The usual mixed-bag of great, good and utter crud, but I like these indie-twisted takes on mainstream characters, the opening Wolverine story (who the hell did that anyway, they didn't sign their work) was a standout (outstanding!).



Warlord of Mars #1 - I liked this so much I might actually read the books...someday... but not now... I'm busy y'see... yeah... busy...

No comments: